Thursday, November 19, 2009

the science project #40

i have to admit that while looking back to where this comic strip series started, i'm surprised it survived to 40 episodes. but i'm glad it has. that being said, #40 is titled "seeing red" and was done mid november 2009.

there are two stories that made this comic happen. the first being that, where i work there are 5 red heads out of maybe 35 employees. now this may not seem like a big deal, but in my highschool of 2500 kids, there were 2 red heads. and they were me and my sister. so, the red heads at work have a special bond and we use "ginger" with each other liberally.

but the second story (which is the main reason for this episode) is when i joined a dating website a while back. while setting up my profile, i filled in the ethnicity section by putting "ginger" in the "other" section and continued on figuring that my little joke was kinda funny and might score me some points with the ladies. when you finish, you submit your potential profile for approval, but mine got denied. rather than tell me what was wrong, they gave me a list of things that are not allowed, such as solicitation or racist remarks. not having done anything on their list, i went back and found nothing EXCEPT the ginger joke, which was the only thing that seemed could be potentially misunderstood. but when i changed it to the less interesting "white", it got approved. and there you have it; "ginger" is a racist term.

so, unless you are one, you can't say that word anymore. seriously. don't even ask for ginger ale.

No comments:

Post a Comment